Matcha green tea powder is a type of powdered green tea that is traditionally used in Japanese tea ceremonies. It has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its numerous health benefits and delicious taste. In this blog post, we will explore what matcha green tea powder is, its history, how it is made, its health benefits, and how to use it.
What is matcha green tea powder?
Matcha green tea powder is a fine, vibrant green powder made from specially grown and processed green tea leaves. The tea leaves are ground into a fine powder using a stone mill, creating a powder that can be whisked with water to create a frothy, flavourful drink. Unlike other teas, the entire tea leaf is consumed, making it a more potent source of nutrients and antioxidants.
History of Matcha Green Tea Powder
Matcha green tea powder has been an important part of Japanese culture for centuries. It was first brought to Japan from China in the 12th century by Zen Buddhist monks and was initially used in religious ceremonies. Over time, matcha became more widely consumed in Japan and was even used as a currency. Today, matcha is enjoyed around the world and is often used in cooking, baking, and drinks.
How is Matcha Green Tea Powder Made?
Matcha green tea powder is made from shade-grown tea leaves that are harvested by hand. The tea plants are covered with shade cloths for several weeks before harvest to reduce the amount of sunlight they receive. This process increases the chlorophyll content in the leaves and gives them a bright green colour. After harvesting, the leaves are steamed to prevent oxidation and then dried. The dried leaves are then ground into a fine powder using a stone mill.
Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea Powder
Matcha green tea powder is a nutritional powerhouse, packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Here are some of the health benefits of matcha green tea powder:
- High in antioxidants: Matcha green tea powder is rich in catechins, a type of antioxidant that can help protect the body from damage caused by free radicals.
- Boosts metabolism: Matcha contains caffeine and catechins, which can help increase metabolism and aid in weight loss.
- Enhances focus and concentration: The combination of caffeine and L-theanine in matcha can help improve focus and concentration.
- Promotes relaxation: The L-theanine in matcha can also help promote relaxation and reduce stress.
- Supports immune function: Matcha is a good source of vitamins C, A, and E, which can help support immune function.
How to Use Matcha Green Tea Powder
Matcha green tea powder can be used in a variety of ways. Here are some ideas:
- Make matcha tea: Whisk 1-2 teaspoons of matcha powder with hot water until frothy.
- Add to smoothies: Mix 1-2 teaspoons of matcha powder into your favourite smoothie recipe.
- Make matcha lattes: Whisk 1-2 teaspoons of matcha powder with hot milk and sweetener of your choice.
- Use in baking: Add matcha powder to your favourite baking recipes for a boost of flavour and nutrition.
We’ve used matcha green tea powder to make our new, limited edition matcha white chocolate bar. A new and improved vegan white chocolate, that’s richer and has a creamier texture, flavoured with the highest quality matcha green tea powder.
Click here to order and savour the delectable fusion of delicate matcha and velvety white chocolate with every bite of this Matcha White Chocolate Bar.